Saturday 9 March 2013

Simply Delicious Sausage Gravy

Simply Delicious Sausage Gravy


Ingredients:
  • 1 pound breakfast sausage
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk or half & half, heavy whipping cream, evaporated milk – pretty much any dairy product ;)
  • Black pepper to taste – I use lots of cracked black pepper
  • pinch of sugar {cause that’s what my Nana used!}

Directions:
  • Brown sausage. Season liberally with black pepper. 
  • Sprinkle flour over the cooked sausage and stir. 
  • Let flour cook for 1-2 minutes and then gradually add milk, stirring as you pour. 
  •  Bring gravy to a simmer and let thicken. 
  • This is where my Nana adds a pinch of sugar and so do I. She told me that it helps the gravy brown and I guess that makes sense because the sugar is caramelizing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment